Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Nasi Lalapan @ Muara Restaurant, Miri


When we were in Miri, I would see the word 'lalapan' or 'lelapan' everywhere. I was curious about this dish and asked Hubby to ask his collegues about it. The vote was unanimous; the restaurant that served the best nasi lalapan was Muara Restaurant. They have two branches. Apparently, the older branch is better. Located at the Waterfront Commercial Centre, this restaurant has a strong following.

The menu at Muara Restaurant, Miri
You can choose from a variety of lalapans. The fish lalapans are Lalapan Bawal, Lalapan Kembung, Lalapan Tenggiri, Lalapan Tongkol, Lalapan Keli (Catfish). Then you have Lalapan Ayam (Chicken) and Lalapan Udang (Shrimp). They also serve other dishes such as Nasi Lemak, Buttermilk Chicken/Shrimp and so on.


Love the earthenware plate

Nasi means rice and lalapan means eight. This Indonesian dish basically has eight parts to it. The main dish (chicken/fish/shrimp), tempeh (fermented soybeans), fried tofu, leafy vege, cucumber, long beans, cabbage and belacan in the middle. Belacan is shrimp paste. Oh yes, and a plate of steamed rice.

The Lalapan Ayam was RM9 and a small sized Buttermilk Chicken was RM8. I thought it was reasonably priced until I heard a guy talking at the table beside us. He was calculating how much it cost per plate of Lalapan and had come to the conclusion that it was a little overpriced. I think the price is okay. As for the taste, I am a huge fan of belacan. However, this belacan was a little too strong on the fishy side for me. I guess I'm not a Nasi Lalapan fan. I loved the presentation though mainly the plate.

Give it a try the next time you are in Miri, as I love to say, 'Belum cuba, belum tau' translated 'You never know until you've given it a try'!

Muara Restaurant
Lot 1306, Miri Waterfront Commercial Centre
0168827370

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...