Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sabah Road Trip: Kundasang

Kundasang.. This is where I started to actually fall in love with Sabah.. I knew for sure once I reached Kota Kinabalu. After our alleged 'race to Rafflesia Mountain' (please do read my previous post to understand why) we were tired and looking forward to our next destination (we were looking forward to ALL our destinations ha,ha) which was the Kinabalu Pine Resort located in Kundasang. Kundasang offers a panaromic view of Mount Kinabalu and as you can see is often enveloped by misty clouds.


We stopped for fuel at a Shell petrol station in Ranau Town


They have various packages that you can choose from. Have a look at kinabalupineresort.com/rates/ to see which package suits you best. We took the Deluxe Room promotion package (RM240) inclusive of breakfast and set dinner for 2 which is usually RM270. It seemed like a better plan and was less of a hassle for us. We had made reservations with the resort for a Deluxe room with a double bed, instead they gave us twin beds and said they were fully packed. The lady at reception was rude and unfriendly. However, after being told off by my husband, she was better, if she ever could be that.






Anyway, the Resort offers a wonderful view of the Kundasang valley and of course of Mt Kinabalu. Initially, it was covered with clouds but suddenly it cleared and I had my first view. It was spectacular and beautifully calming. Every time we stepped out of our room, this view awaited us...









At night people just gathered chatting away and kids ran around playing

Just below our room...

Many compare Kundasang to Cameron Highlands in Peninsula Malaysia and so I thought it might be a little cold but it was bearable. At night I slept without my blanket and I was wearing shorts so I really must say it wasn't cold in the room. However, step outside and you are likely to freeze certain body parts off : )









The food..Hmm.. If I stay here again I will definitely not be eating their food...Photos of dinner are shown below. I didn't bother to take photos of the breakfast buffet..Oops did I actually say buffet. Well, that's what they call it but erm..it was just some kind of rice, a soggy vege (for breakfast? c'mon people!), cocktail sausages and bread. I can't remember if they had scrambled eggs.. Anyway, it was better than dinner. I have to say though, I would not have done it any other way. Why? It was convenient. We spent time walking on the grounds. They have a nice playground and rabbits for kids to enjoy. For us, the view was spectacular and breathtaking. It was beautiful to just sit and enjoy the view with each other, our kids and of course, a cup of coffee..bliss..*sigh..

Mushroom soup..the saving grace of the meal. Was quite nice..




The disgrace of the meal.. Asam fish.. more like Burnt fish..It had a very strong fishy smell..

Mixed Vege..was okay..
All in all, I would definitely recommend this place. Just seeing these photos (except the food ones) make me want to go back there again...







Goodbye Kinabalu Pine Resort... and Hello Kinabalu Park (will post about it soon)..




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...