Monday, September 17, 2012

How to Stop Hunching

I have had the habit of hunching as far back as I can remember.. I recall making it one of my New Year resolutions when I was 12 years old. I'll be turning 31 this coming Friday (yay! It's my birthday!) and I am still hunching..even more so actually.. Well, so much for New Year resolutions huh.. Talk about lifetime ones..'I shall stop hunching by the time this lifetime of mine is over'..ha,ha what if it ends soon though...

Now, according to my best bud Google, how you sit, stand and walk determines the health of your neck, back and shoulders. I constantly have lower backaches. I've had these for a long time and now after the birth of my second child, it has gotten worse. The constant breastfeeding doesn't help either. Wearing high heeled shoes most of the time can alter your body's alignment. No problem there as I usually opt for comfy shoes..One of the perks of being a SAHM. But I do wear my high heels for functions and certain occasions. I mean all girls love shoes and I'm just as bad. So, I'm going to zone in on the 'most of the time' part and let it go. 

Ever been told to, "Stand up straight?" Keep this mantra close. If left unattended, hunching can become permanent hunching. Stick post it notes, write it down or you can even set reminders that go off at different times of the day to remind you. Imagine.. "Are you bending over?" : )

Well, what else can be done? Calcium. Don't just give your kids milk, we need it too. Our body needs 1,000mg of calcium a day and 1,500mg if you are postmenopausal. Plus, I'm breastfeeding so I really need to focus on drinking milk. Of course, I can meet my daily requirements by eating cheese and yogurt or just taking Calcium tablets!

Sitting positions. Make sure your not hunched over while on the sofa watching your favorite drama. When driving, the best position for your seat is a 90-degree angle. If you spend a lot of time in the car purchase a lumbar roll (or you can roll a towel) and place it behind your back.
Different types of lumbar rolls

Yoga. I love yoga. That said, I do not do yoga. I think about, I look it up, I watch it on youtube, I imagine doing it... but I don't have the opportunity to do it. And when I do have the opportunity, I just don't do it. Hmm....wonder if I should make it a resolution... Anyway, checkout various yoga poses to stop hunching and rounded shoulders and those that strengthen your back. Make sure you read up on it as some poses aren't suitable for sensitive backs, especially without supervision. For me, supervision comes in two forms; my soon to be 3year old Cupcake and 15 month Munchkin!!

Lifting positions. It doesn't apply just for lifting but also for the million times you bend to pick up toys. What I do is I just get on all fours and move along picking up stuff with my kids trying to hitch a ride... When you lift stuff, grasp around the bottom and lift straight upward. Remember to put pressure on your legs and not your back.

Personally, I'm going to try all of these and let's see if I can finally stop hunching... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...